Last Friday, I posted Adobong Pusit recipe. Today, I’ll be sharing with you another variety of adobo which is Adobong Baboy (Pork Adobo). Pork Adobo is simply pork cooked in soy sauce, vinegar, and garlic. This is a very popular dish in the Philippines because of its ease in preparation.
There are different variations in cooking pork adobo. I’ll share with you some regional versions like the Batangas Adobo which makes use of atsuete (annatto) or dilaw (yellow ginger) instead of soy sauce and Bicol Region’s Ginataang Adobo (Adobo with Coconut Milk) in my future posts. For now, let me share with you the most common and simplest of all pork adobo recipes I know. I got this from my mother who loved cooking her pork adobo with eggs. My daughters love it so much! Whenever we have this kind of adobo, they don't talk so much and they finish their food really quick. I'm not sure if it's really the pork adobo they like or they just love eggs! (^.^)
* I Shared this recipe on Friday Potluck @ EKat's Kitchen.
Prep Time: ~40 minutes Cook Time: ~1 hour Servings: 4-6
- 1 1/2 lbs pork shoulder or pork butt, cut into 1-1/2" cubes
- 9 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium-sized onion, sliced
- 2 pcs whole dried bay leaves
- 1 cup vinegar (I use ½ cup regular and ½ cup spicy one)
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ½ tsp black peppercorns
- salt to taste
- 4 eggs, hardboiled and peeled (optional)
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1. Marinate pork in soy sauce, vinegar, bay leaves, 6 cloves minced garlic, and ½ of the sliced onion for at least 30 minutes. Drain pork, keeping the marinade aside.
2. In a large saucepan over medium heat, sauté remaining garlic in oil until light brown. Add remaining onion and sauté until translucent.
3. Add pork and sauté until juice starts to come out. Add the marinade and peppercorns. Mix well. Simmer for about 45 minutes or until pork is tender. Add water if necessary.
4. Add salt to suit your taste. As for me, the soy sauce makes it salty enough. Add boiled eggs (optional). Simmer for 2 more minutes. Remove from heat. Serve hot with rice.