It's Valentine's Day tomorrow, and if you're thinking of last minute treats for your loved ones, here's something perfect! These Chocolate Dipped Heart Shortbread Cookies are easy to make and requires simple ingredients, but will definitely win anyone's heart!
*Yield 36 cookies
Who can resist shortbread cookies dipped in rich chocolate??? Admittedly, I can't!
Wishing you all a Happy Valentine's Day! Whatever you plan to do, I hope it will be a love-filled day for you! :-*
*Yield 36 cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups chocolate chips or chunks of your choice (I used Ghirardelli intense dark chocolate, one cup with almond and one cup without)
- red sugar or sprinkles(optional)
1. Sift together flour and salt. Set aside.
2. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla extract. Slowly mix in flour, ½ cup at a time, until just blended. Chill dough for 30 minutes so it will be easier to cut them into hearts.
3. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350°F. Meanwhile, on a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough until it is about ¼ inch thick. Using a 3 inch heart cookie cutter, cut out the dough. Place the cookies about ½ inch apart on the prepared baking sheets.
4. Place the unbaked cookies on the baking sheet in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes. This will firm up the dough so the cookies will maintain their shape when baked.
5. Bake for about 10 minutes, or until bottom of cookies are lightly brown. Allow to completely cool down.
6. In a microwave safe bowl, heat chocolate in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir gently then heat up again in 15 seconds interval until melted and smooth. Dip half of each cookie into melted chocolate (or you can dip the whole cookie if you like), allowing excess chocolate to drip off. Place on waxed paper-lined cookie sheets. Sprinkle with red sugar or sprinkles (optional).