It's fall here in the US, and pumpkins are everywhere...so for this month, it is the star of Baking Partners Challenge! We were given three recipes to try, and I chose the Chocolate Pumpkin Cupcake with Orange Cream Cheese Frosting recipe from Country Living suggested by Priya R. of Cook Like Priya.
These cupcakes are absolutely delicious and are perfect Halloween treats and Thanksgiving dessert as well. You'll surely love the wonderful combination of chocolate, cinnamon, pumpkin and nutmeg! The orange flavor in the frosting is also something to fall in love with! A truly great fall cupcake --- you should try it!
For the cupcakes:
Yield: 36 cupcakes
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup good-quality cocoa
- 2 Tbsp good-quality cocoa
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp fresh-grated nutmeg
- 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups pumpkin purée
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 5 large eggs
For the Orange Cream-Cheese Frosting:
- 1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 Tbsp fresh orange juice
- 1 Tbsp grated orange zest
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar (I only used 2 cups)
- 1/4 tsp orange food/frosting coloring
For the cupcakes:
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Line muffins pans with cupcake liners.
2. Make the batter: Sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large bowl and set aside. Combine the buttermilk, pumpkin, and vanilla in a medium bowl and set aside. Beat the butter and sugar together in a large bowl, with an electric mixer set on medium speed, until fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition, until the mixture is smooth and light. Alternately add the flour mixture and buttermilk mixture, blending well after each addition.
3. Divide batter evenly into prepared muffin cups and bake until a wooden skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean -- about 18 to 20 minutes. Cool the cupcakes in the pan for 5 minutes. Transfer to wire racks and allow to cool down completely.
4. Decorate with orange cream-cheese frosting as desired.
For the frosting:
Blend the cream cheese, butter, orange juice, orange zest, and vanilla in a large bowl using an electric mixer set at medium speed, until smooth. Add the sugar and continue to beat until light and creamy -- about 3 more minutes. Add orange frosting color and mix well.
If you want to either share or enhance your baking skills, join us for a monthly baking adventure at Baking Partners!