From the way they look to the things they like, my two daughters are indeed different in many ways like most siblings are. While my eldest got my natural curly hair, my youngest has straight hair like the hubs. My eldest got my fair complexion while my youngest got her dad's medium skin tone. While my eldest hates pink and girly girl stuff, my youngest is so into it! Though both of them love school, my eldest loves to curl up with a good book but hates Math, while my youngest can sit and do Math problems all day but gets upset when it's reading time. Unless told so, my eldest won't help in the kitchen while my youngest is always so eager to help and considers herself as my sous chef. When it comes to food, my eldest would rather stick to burgers, chicken nuggets, pizza, fried chicken and other food she's used to while my youngest would try anything I serve on our table. I can go on the whole day telling you how different they are from each other...but when it comes to how they are alike, I honestly can only think of a few. Aside from their being so sweet and loving, both of them love to sing and draw. They love dogs, playing at the park, flying kites together and building sand castles at the beach. And as far as food is concerned, both of them just couldn't resist anything with mushrooms! My eldest can be so picky but whenever I serve any dish with mushrooms in it, she can never say no! This Shredded Beef with Green Beans and Mushrooms is an example of that...
This is very much like the Bistek Tagalog that I've featured here on the blog before. But instead of using beef sirloin, I use the readily available shredded beef for carne picada that can be bought at supermarkets. Unlike the regular Bistek Tagalog with only onions in it, this has green beans and mushrooms which make it a whole lot interesting! My daughters love Bistek Tagalog, but I tell you, they love this even more! And if there's one thing that they agree on, it's how good this dish is! You should see for yourself...
- 2 lbs. shredded beef
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium sized onions, chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh lime extract (lemon or calamansi will work too)
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ½ Tbsp garlic powder (optional)
- 1 lb green beans, cut into 2 inch long
- 1 lb. button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
1. In a bowl, mix lime extract, soy sauce and garlic powder until well combined. Add shredded beef and marinate for at least 30 minutes. Drain and save the marinade.
2. Over medium heat, saute garlic in olive oil until light brown. Add the chopped onions, and saute until almost translucent. Add shredded beef and saute until juice starts to come out. Add marinade. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes or until beef is tender. Add green beans and mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper to suit your taste. Simmer for 5 minutes more or until green beans and mushrooms are cooked.
3. Remove from heat. Serve with rice or rolls.