Last month, I got 6 cans of Hatch Diced Green Chiles and a pound of dried New Mexico Red Chiles for winning in MJ's Kitchen's New Mexico Red and Green Chile Giveaway! The hubs & I both love spicy food so we were both excited to try how hot these New Mexico Chiles are.
The first I tried using are the red ones. I thought of adding three pods of it to my classic version of Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry. Since the package says "Medium", I assumed that the red chiles would be just sweet and mellow, so I didn't take out all the membranes and seeds from the pods. And I was right! 3 pods of the dried NM Red Chiles just gave my Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry the perfect kick which my daughters called "kid-friendly". Clarise and Cherlin loved the sweet flavor it added to the dish.
If you want it "hotter", leave all the seeds and membranes to the pods or double the number of the red chiles you will use. :)
- 1 lb skinless chicken breasts (cut into strips)
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium-sized yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 3 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 3 pcs. dried New Mexico red chiles, washed and chopped
- 2 ½ Tbsp pure olive oil
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- salt and pepper
- 3 Tbsp hoisin sauce
- 3 Tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 Tbsp roasted sesame seeds (for garnish, optional)
1. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Set aside.
2. In a wok over medium-high heat, stir fry garlic, onions and dried New Mexico chilies in 1 ½ Tbsp pure olive oil. Stir fry for 30 seconds.
3. Add chicken and stir fry for 3 to 5 minutes or until fully cooked.
4. Add remaining pure olive oil to the wok. Add broccoli florets and stir fry for 2 minutes.
5. Add oyster sauce and hoisin sauce. Mix well. Sprinkle with black pepper. Add sesame oil. Stir for 2 more minutes.
6. Remove from heat. Serve hot with steamed rice. Garnish with roasted sesame seeds if desired.