Last week was all rainy here in my side of the world. Though I don't like rain (especially very hard rain that could stop me from doing things), I just love the sound of it. It kinda makes me feel relaxed. Ehhhr, I guess lazy is the right word...because all I wanna do on a rainy day is to either curl up on the couch with Ryan and the girls or take a long nap...and all I could think of is FOOD! But since I am feeling lazy, I don't want to do too much cooking...all I want is quick and easy comfort food.
It was raining really hard last Wednesday so Ryan decided to just work from home. We ate some leftover nilaga for lunch...and when it was dinner time, the girls were saying they wanted pancit (noodles). With all the ingredients I put in the usual pancit I cook, I felt so tired already just thinking of how much chopping I had to make. Then suddenly I remember about this vermicelli soup with sardines that my mom used to make. I don't cook it often because Clarise and Cherlin aren't so into canned sardines. But I thought that they might like it if I make it into a guisado (sauted) version without the soup. So that's what I made. I was thinking that if they won't like it, I'll just make them eat the leftover mac & cheese in the ref...
...but guess what??! They loved the Sardinas Pancit Sotanghon! I couldn't believe that both of them finished a plateful of it in just a few minutes...and they asked for another serving. Too bad I didn't cook much!
Since they didn't get enough of it, I had to cook it again last weekend...and just like last Wednesday, it was all gone before I knew it! :)
- 8 oz. bean thread noodles, soaked for at least 15 minutes and drained
- 2 *5.5oz. cans sardines in tomato sauce (I used 1 regular and 1 spicy Ligo sardines, which is a Filipino brand, but other brand of sardines in tomato sauce will do)
- 3-4 clove of garlic, chopped
- 1 small-sized onion, chopped
- 1 small-sized tomato, chopped
- 4 stalks spring onion, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds (I used ½ Tbsp black & ½ Tbsp brown)
- parsley flakes for garnish
1. In a large sauce pan over medium heat, saute garlic in olive oil until light brown. Add onions and tomato and saute until tomato is soft.
2. Add the sardines including sauce and 1 cup water. Bring to a slight boil and simmer for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Add in the soaked bean thread noodles and continue to simmer while stirring until noodles are cooked. Add sesame seeds and half of the green onions and simmer for another minute.4. Remove from heat. Serve hot. Garnish with remaining green onions.